Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Derpy Daze at Players' Retreat


Today Brit and I decided to grab lunch at Players Retreat to catch up on our failed and blossoming relationships while we ate and drank away our feelings.

The weather was beautiful so we sat ourselves outside.  I have only ever been to Players’ Retreat to grab drinks and watch basketball, I had never been to eat.  I had heard the service was kind of sucky, so I wasn’t expecting much. 

Our less than friendly server who will remain nameless (because he never gave us his name) brought us menus and water.  Shortly after he brought us our brews and took our orders.  I asked for his suggestion and he told me that he was currently eating a huge, yet affordable turkey club sandwich in the back so that’s what I ended up ordering.  Brit kept calling our server “derpy.”  I suppose he wasn’t not-friendly, I think he was just stoned.   Brit goes “I’ve never seen such a derpy guy in my entire life!”  To be honest, I never even really knew the definition of “derp” until I met this guy. 

I digress.  We also ordered some mozzarella sticks for a starter.  Sorry there isn’t a picture of them… we started stuffing our pie holes before we could remember to snap a pic.


About the time it took for Brit to finish her glass of water, our meals came.  She got the burger and I got a monster turkey club.  Today is Steven Tyler’s 64th birthday and I couldn’t have ordered anything more appropriate.  The thing was ginormous and you literally have to stretch your mouth out as far as you possibly can to take a bite of HALF of it.  The Demon of Screamin’ would have been so proud to see his biggest fan gorge her face the way I did.

The turkey club was divided into four triangles held together with the biggest toothpicks you can buy and it was layered like this: bread, mayonnaise, turkey, turkey, turkey, turkey, turkey, turkey, turkey, bread, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, provolone, bread.



I must say that in contrast to the sub par service, my sammy was DE-LISH.  The wheat bread was only slightly toasted.  It was a golden brown and the sugars were brought out ever so sweetly in the bread without making it too crispy or leaving it too soft.  There was enough turkey to feed a small family on Thanksgiving, needless to say I took a nice nap once I got home after the turkey/beer combo.  The tomato and lettuce on it tasted fresh.  The sandwich wasn’t drowned in mayonnaise at all.  I hate when places have it dripping and oozing out of the sides and you have to use a thousand napkins to keep your hands clean.  There was hardly any mayonnaise on the sandwich at all so for me, it was muy perfecto.

The kettle chips that come with the sandwich must be loaded with MSG or some other sort of addictive drug such as the crack cocaine or meth.  They tasted good.  In my opinion they were nothing to neither rave nor bitch about… however I couldn’t stop scarfing them down like a famished, starving, and abused dog at the pound.  No matter how full I got, I just kept eating and eating and eating and eating them.

Anyway, Players Retreat was good mostly because I was in good company.  The food was pretty decent but I have certainly found better things to rave about around downtown Raleigh.  I’d stick to this place for beer and basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment