Thursday, March 22, 2012

Empanada Terrible Place To Go


Last night my friend Sara and I went to Calavera Empanada and Tequila bar located downtown at 444-101 South Blount Street.  I had never been nor heard of it so I was excited to go.  I also had no idea what an empanada was. 

The inside was itty-bitty and the weather was perfect so we sat ourselves outside.  The tables were covered in fun, brightly colored floral tablecloths.  We each ordered waters (however, I totally would have gotten one of their fancy specialty beverages for only $8.00, but I was driving and the last thing I’d want to do is total another car) and a chips and guacamole appetizer.  The guacamole was better than at most places and had more lemon or lime in it than usual so it was really refreshing for the hot humid weather.  We wished we had either more guacamole or less chips.  What a terrible ratio it was.




Their prices were muy perfecto for you college students.  One empanada was 3 dollars.  They aren’t too big, so I assume most people order two or three but I had already eaten a snack closer to dinnertime so one was perfect for me.  If you don’t know what an empanada is, I would compare it to those little turnover things that people eat for breakfast.  It’s a half circle, crispy pastry stuffed with whatever meat/cheese/veggie/fruit combination your hungry little heart desires.

Calavera’s most popular empanada is the Al Pastor.  The pastry was stuffed with sweet guajillo pepper marinated pork, cilantro, pineapple and lime.  The price sort of speaks for itself.  I’d say it was a lot more pastry than any of that other fancy stuff so I can’t really tell you what it tasted like because it was overpowered by the bread.  Sara said I ordered the wrong one.  She said “the Pablono Loco is the best bang for your buck so, if you like cheese you should definitely order it.” 



Each plate comes with a side of salsa, and a side of some kind of green chili salsa.  I liked the green one because it was different and it was really sweet and tasted good with my lackluster pineapple turnover dinner pocket.

For dessert we split the King of Kong, which was an empanada filled with banana, Nutella and topped with powdered sugar.  As you can imagine, it was amazing.  Anything with Nutella is guaranteed satisfaction.  I only wish it had more banana chunks in it and I also wish it had been like… fifteen times the size so I could eat Nutella forever and ever.

The service here was so-so.  My water went down to the bottom more than once but the atmosphere was brilliant.  If you get the opportunity to sit at Calavera outside around dusk, you truly get to experience all of the glory that is downtown Raleigh.  Bowlegged dogs, hipsters in 90-degree weather wearing heavy jackets and scarves, funny toothless men on some sort of something fun yelling profanities, and most importantly, beautiful shirtless men glistening in pearls of sweat as they run into the sunset wearing nothing but spandex and tennies.  Downtown Raleigh is truly an experience and Calavera helps you see it all.  Plus, I hear they have really great drink specials on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment