Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pork This, Not That...


In the heart of North Carolina, there are so many amazing barbeque places to choose from that sometimes one doesn’t even know where to begin.  The Pit, you say?  Coopers?  Q Shack? 

How about that tiny, little, rundown building on the side of Hillsborough Street across from the railroad tracks that mostly only people who have lived here for years know about?

Ole’ Time Barbeque is a family owned restaurant.  It’s that tiny, little, yellow shack on the side of the road that many pass by daily without giving it a second glance.  It looks like the kind of place only a trucker would stop for a quick bite to eat on a long trip. 

The inside is adorned from wall to wall, floor to ceiling with plastic, stuffed, painted, and porcelain pigs.  (As well as a few family photos.)

But the pigs.  Pigs.  Everywhere.  All around me.  I almost felt guilty ordering the pork platter, what with all the hundreds of swine staring me down.  That is, until I took a bite.

I ordered the small pork platter with coleslaw, French fries, and complimentary hush puppies to go.



Sierra Clarke, 22 of Raleigh and Peace College graduate said, "Don't judge me.  I am getting the large order.  It is so good and I want leftovers for days... and days... and days... and days..."

I remember the free hush puppies from when I used to go to Ole’ Time for lunch in high school with my friends.  They’re a lot less doughy and a much more crispy than hush puppies I’ve had at other places.  There’s no need for butter with these little guys.  They dissolve in your mouth just fine on their very own.



I’ve hated coleslaw since the first grade when my TA (who shall remain nameless) would savagely destroy bowl after bowl of the mayonnaise covered cabbage shreds.  White spray would spew everywhere throughout the air whilst she talked and chewed with her mouth open and full.  I hated the idea of it.

I can honest to goodness, hand on the Holy Bible, cross my heart and hope to die say that I have not once had coleslaw ever since until Saturday night.

It was astoundingly pleasing considering the mental scarring that I have had to endure for the past fifteen years of my life.  It was crisp and fresh and very sweet.  It was seasoned with black pepper as well as some other spices that I couldn’t quite put my finger on.  I think caraway was used, but something else added a perfect kick to the sweet dessert like salad.  I’m glad I didn’t order dessert because I wouldn’t have needed it anyway. 




The fries were clearly frozen, which was a minor disappointment shortly trumped by a fleeting whirl of aroma and flavor cast by the Pork God himself.  I could feel his presence in the still air of my kitchen.   The unbearable mound of guilt that these hogs had thrust upon my soul at the restaurant was lifted so quickly by him that I forgot that I even had those feelings of shame to begin with.

The tender, succulent, pork was marinated in what tasted like the most simplistically perfect blend of peppers, spices, and vinegar of all time.  It was so basic, yet something this flawless must have taken years to perfect.  It is called Ole’ Time for a reason… this recipe has been passed down for generations.

The portions at Ole’ Time are plentiful so certainly plan to go on an empty stomach. 
I ordered the small platter and had to put over half of it in the fridge.  All that food cost me under $10. 

If you’re not from Raleigh, it should be a definite stopping point for you.  The restaurant has so much character.  From the decor, to the truly authentic food, to the quick service, to the candid gossip and joking going on behind the counter… it’s the kind of place that makes you feel like you’re back in time (the ole’ time) in the South eating one of the most North Carolinian native meals of your life. 

Ole’ Time is “a great placed to get PORKED.”  The mighty God of Pork will tell you himself.  Just look for him among the many statues throughout the restaurant and ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment