Thursday, February 16, 2012

My HeartBurns for MoJoe's



This past freezing cold Sunday with a wind chill of -10 degrees, Brit and I decided to check out the Oxford.  Their burgers were recommended to me personally by Triangle Food Tour over a personal Twitter message.

Brit and I parked and walked over to the restaurant.  Aside from the uber friendly homeless fellows meowing and barking at us, the atmosphere was pretty nice.  It was definitely hip but it smelled like pancakes and bacon.  Needless to say, we were a little confused.

It turns out they were only serving brunch at that time.  We needed burgers.  Brit has a burger blog.  So we left.

We ended up going to MoJoe’s located at 620 Glenwood Avenue on the corner of East Peace Street.

MoJoe’s is really relaxed.  You seat yourself and the menus are already on the green and white plastic clothed table.

Our server came up and asked us what we wanted to eat.  Brit ordered her usual delicious and generic burger while I asked our friendly server what the most popular item on the menu was.

After two of the waiters debated over the most popular things, they came to a conclusion.  I was afraid of the answer I was going to get… but in the back of my mind, I knew my fate.  I knew exactly what they were going to tell me.

Why is it that everywhere I go… the most popular and most delicious foods that Raleigh has to offer me are the same things that are going to end up shortening my lifespan by 25+ years?

The pork pile.  That is the name of the burger.  “The Pork Pile.”  Really?  Spring break is just three weeks away and I’ve been working so hard…

OH WELL!

Where do I begin?

First of all, I love it when buns are sprinkled with delicious little sesame seeds.  I don’t know why, but I do.  It doesn’t add to the taste but it sure does make the burger look so much more appetizing.  It seemed so lightly toasted that you hardly noticed it, but the crust on it was just flakey enough.

On the bun was a perfectly cooked 1/3 lb. burger grilled straight through.  It was topped with succulent pulled pork, a couple of strips of bacon, cheddar cheese, and slabbed with ketchup and mustard. 



I hate ketchup.  I hate mustard.  I hate mixing meats.

But alas, I have sworn myself to trusting the general public in lieu of my new found vegetarianism (as of November)… for you, friends.

I was skeptical to try it.  So many things I detest all piled high between two perfectly flawless bunny-buns… now tainted.



I cut the heaping man sandwich in half in order to stuff it into my relatively small mouth.  (I’m told I resemble a prairie dog.)





Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.  I am so proud of myself.  I am trying so many new things every week and the food just keeps getting better and better.  I’m trying things that I would never dare try under any other circumstances.  Thank you, Raleigh men and women for making the right decision for me once again.

The burger was so sweet and salty and thoroughly cooked.  I’m sure you can imagine what pork on top of a burger patty tastes like, but the bacon added just that extra little oomph of salty flavor.  The ketchup and mustard added just enough sweetness and a little kick.  I hate to admit that I am going to keep reordering these disgusting  (yet oh so delectable) entrees that these places keep serving me.  Are they trying to kill me!?

Aside from the burger, Brit and I split an appetizer of mozzerella sticks and a side of fries.  “I love the fries,” said Brit of our class, “I’m so glad we got them.”  They were extra crispy and not doused in too much salt.







My experience at MoJoe’s was phenomenal.  It helped that I was in good company as well.  I definitely recommend it to anybody who loves a good burger.  I cannot wait to late night it there after a ladies night out on Glenwood.  

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I want to try that burger SO BAD now!!! It looks and sounds amazing. Also, the prairie dog picture is cute, it made me laugh...a lot :-).

    ReplyDelete