Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Good Googly Moogly That Sandwich Was Juicy!


Earlier this week I had the pleasure of joining Brit for lunch at Village Grill located at 8470 Honeycutt Road right off of Falls of Neuse Road in North Raleigh.  We had a $25 gift certificate, compliments of the lovely Lynn Owens, which was very helpful because the menu was just slightly above the usual college kids’ price range.  We were in North Raleigh though, about 20 minutes away from all of the college bars and restaurants so it is understandable.  I would definitely go back if I had my parents with me so I could mooch free food off of them.

The restaurant was pretty spacious and nearly empty which was somewhat surprising because we came right at lunchtime.  It was really pretty inside with paintings everywhere and a big, beautiful bar plopped smack dab in the middle.



The service was mediocre seeing how empty it was but, I must say our server, Jeremy was so sweet and polite and had a beautiful accent.  He was from Minnesota.  Minnesotans are well known for their politeness.  My water was often low to empty but aside from that, he was so helpful in assisting me in picking out the perfect sandwich on my one day of carnivorism for the week.

Brit and I ordered a starter of Texas Ranch potato chips with bleu cheese dressing.  They tasted a lot like the kettle-cooked chips from the store but they were warm and crispy.  They weren’t too ranchy which was good for us both.  Brit hates ranch and I’m not a huge fan of it or anything either.



Jeremy suggested that I order the Grilled London Broil Sandwich.  Manwich.  The thing is made to perfection and served with a side of horseradish sauce, au jus (whatever that means…) and fries.  The baguette bun was crispy and tough on the outside and soft and delicate on the inside.  It was topped with slices of London broil, Habenero cheddar cheese, and onion straws.  The only negative thing I can say about the sandwich was that the steak was pretty tough and difficult to chew through (especially with the whole prairie dog-like mouth issue).  If the pieces had been cut into smaller portions it may have been easier.  The cheese brought a perfect blend of spice and cheddar.  It was just a tinge above mild for me and I can’t take even the slightest amount of heat.  To a normal person it could possibly be considered bland but it was perfect for me.  The fried onion straws brought a juicy crunch to the whole sandwich.  They were my favorite part.  I was pulling them straight off the sandwich and shoving them down my throat before I even started eating it. 







The horseradish made the sandwich just like good ole’ JereBear told me it would.  The creamy sauce added a sweeter taste to it but still had that mustardy kick.  I did not use the “au jus” which, I think just means “grease” or “meat juice” or “cooked carcass runoff” in fancy talk.  The horseradish sauce was just enough.



The fries were extra crispy and tasting them flooded me with nostalgic memories of MoJoe’s…  I think Brit was haunted by those same memories, too… I could see the look in her eye as she bit into her burger.  “It’s good,” she said with just a glint of disappointment and dispare in her sad blue eyes.  “But we should definitely go back to MoJoe’s…”

The Village Grille is a must-go if you have money, a date who has money, or a kick ass professor with a gift card she’s about to trash.  Although my sandwich was great, I think I can get food just as good downtown for a few bucks cheaper.  The VG seems like it may be a better place for drinks but if you’re ever craving a good steak sandwich, definitely check it out.  (It’s just not top of my list of cravings… RALEIGHTIMESNACHOZFORLIFE)

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmmmmmyyyyy. You should come explore some of the delicious food spots in Chapel Hill, my treat if you make it out :)

    ReplyDelete